Kuigilnguq – “No River” Kwigillingok is located on the western shore of Kuskokwim Bay near the mouth of the Kuskokwim River. According to legend passed down by elders, the village was at a spot where there was no river, but over time one was formed when a man dug a trench to retrieve a necklace lost by his daughter at the edge of a lake.
Kwigillingok about 80miles southwest from Bethel. The first record of the village was documented in 1927 when on the map of the Annual Report of the Governor of Alaska it was identified as Quillingok. . The area has long been occupied by Yup’ik Eskimos and is a traditional village with a subsistence lifestyle.There are approximatly 400 people in Kwigillingok. The village is known for its fine local arts and crafts, commercial fishing and traditional way of life.